What’s New @ Sask Books
- Saskatchewan Book Publishing Week Success As you can tell by the catchy headline up there, Saskatchewan Book Publishing Week was a huge success! Thanks to support we received from the Department of Canadian Heritage through the Canada Book Fund and to Creative Saskatchewan, we were able to tour nine writers’ eleven books published by nine Saskatchewan through five locations across the province. The tour was a smashing success, welcoming more than 300 students, bibliophiles, and local media from La Ronge, the Batoche area, Yorkton, Ogema, and Maple Creek. This is the first year SaskBooks has produced a reading tour to celebrate Saskatchewan Book Publishing Week. We would like to extend our thanks to our featured publishers: Burton House Books, Coteau Books, DriverWorks Ink, Gabriel Dumont Institute, Saskatchewan Archaeological Society, Joan Soggie, Thistledown Press, University of Regina Press, and Your Nickel’s Worth Publishing for producing excellent books; and to our featured readers: Byrna Barclay, Wilfred Burton, Sharon ...
- Fall PD Sessions – Writing Book Cover Copy Register now for the following BOOKTASTIC SESSIONS with Trena White from Page Two in Vancouver: Monday 26 September 2016 Location: SASKATOON, Gabriel Dumont Institute, #2, 604 22nd Street West Tuesday 27 September 2016 Location: REGINA, Mosaic Tower 111, 2010 12th Avenue, second floor boardroom 9:00 a.m. – 12:00 p.m. The Ins and Outs of Writing Book Cover Copy (Trena White) The 250 words that appear on a book’s cover are some of the most important in the entire book. They are what encourages a potential reader to buy it. So how do you write persuasive copy? This workshop will explain how to write copy that sells books: what you should put on the front cover, how much weight to give endorsements, how to write a great author bio, and what to say in the description. Participants will examine plenty of concrete examples from real books that have worked — or not. Trena White is principal and co-founder ...
- Welcome to new board of directors! SaskBooks welcomes its new board of directors! Newly elected at the June conference are: Regine Haensel from Serimuse Books and Belinda Riehl-Fitzimmons from the Saskatchewan Archaeological Society. Welcome “on board” (HA! See what we did there?); we look forward to working with you. Moving in to executive roles on the board are: Morgan Tunzelmann from University of Regina Press, who is SaskBooks’ new President; Leeann Minogue from Coteau Books, our new Vice President; Jennifer Matotek from the Dunlop Art Gallery, who became SaskBooks’ Treasurer; and Heather Nickel from Your Nickel’s Worth Publishing moves into the role of Past President. Member-at-Large Kathleen Coleclough from Kakwa will bring her wisdom to the board for another term. We wish to extend our thanks to our previous directors from 2015: Deana Driver from DriverWorks Inc., Robin Karpan from Parkland Publishing, Karon Shmon from Gabriel Dumont Institute, and Paul Wilson from Hagios Books.
- Creative Saskatchewan names new CEO Creative Saskatchewan has appointed Ranjan Thakre as the new Chair of the Board of Directors. Thakre replaces Interim Chair, Susan Whitney, who has been appointed Vice-Chair. Newly appointed to the Board of Directors today is Jason Zhao. With Thakre and Zhao’s appointments, the Board of Directors is at a full complement and now has staggered terms for members providing greater continuity going forward. Reappointments to the Board were also announced today Valerie Creighton, Caroline Walker, and Bruce Willis, will each serve for two-years while Susan Whitney, Cory Furman, Jocelyne Kost, Jocelyne Wasacase-Merasty, and Rick Krieger will complete one-year terms.
Download the Catalogue
Featuring books published in Saskatchewan, the catalogue has something for everyone.
Dates and Deadlines
Professional Development sessions:
- 26 & 27 September in Saskatoon and in Regina
- 24 & 25 November in Saskatoon and in Regina
Submissions for Saskatchewan Book Awards: 1 November
- September 24, 2016 – Word on the Street Lethbridge, Main Branch Library, Lethbridge, AB
- October 14-15, 2016 – Cream of the Crop, Conexus Arts Centre, Regina
- November 5 – 6, 2016 – Humboldt Fall Trade Showcase, Humboldt Uniplex
- November 14, 2016 – Saskatoon Teachers Convention, TCU Place, Saskatoon
- November 18 – 20, 2016 – WinterGreen Craft Fair, Conexus Arts Centre, Regina
- December 2-4, 2016 – Sundog, SaskTel Place, Saskatoon