What’s New @ Sask Books
- Creative Saskatchewan names new CEO Creative Saskatchewan has appointed Ranjan Thakre as the new Chair of the Board of Directors. Thakre replaces Interim Chair, Susan Whitney, who has been appointed Vice-Chair. Newly appointed to the Board of Directors today is Jason Zhao. With Thakre and Zhao’s appointments, the Board of Directors is at a full complement and now has staggered terms for members providing greater continuity going forward. Reappointments to the Board were also announced today Valerie Creighton, Caroline Walker, and Bruce Willis, will each serve for two-years while Susan Whitney, Cory Furman, Jocelyne Kost, Jocelyne Wasacase-Merasty, and Rick Krieger will complete one-year terms.
- Publishing Conference & AGM Registration for the 2016 Summer publishing conference is now open. The publishing conference at Mosaic Tower III in Regina, will feature: publishing industry updates from industry professionals and funders “From Manuscript to Book”, a presentation by Anna Boyar, managing editor of Freehand Books panel discussion on urban and rural library purchasing practices what NOT to do with your book’s cover design keynote address from Susan Whitney, Interim CEO of Creative Saskatchewan and more! Join Saskatchewan publishers for a rural reception in Riceton and keynote discussion from Creative Saskatchewan Interim Chair Susan Whitney in Riceton (transportation provided to and from Riceton). Register before June 1st for the best rates. There are a limited number of travel subsidies available and they will be offered on the basis of registration order. Download the conference schedule and registration form here.
- Parkland Publishing launches “Photographer’s Guide to Saskatchewan” Parkland Publishing announced the release of their latest book, Photographer’s Guide to Saskatchewan, by Robin and Arlene Karpan. With a focus on nature, wildlife, and awesome landscapes, Robin and Arlene guide you to their favourite haunts throughout the province, from prominent national and provincial parks to little-known photogenic treasures. Supplemented by maps, GPS coordinates, and 250 stunning photographs, the 208-page book not only takes you to outstanding photo hot spots, but also reveals what you need to know to capture amazing images. Robin and Arlene are having a book launch on Thursday, June 2, 8 p.m. at McNally Robinson Booksellers in Saskatoon. Two days later, on Saturday, June 4, they will give a presentation at the Chaplin Shorebird Festival. For more details, please visit www.parklandpublishing.com
- Creative Saskatchewan expands eligibility for grants Creative Saskatchewan, the province’s primary funding agency for the creative industries, announced a recent and significant change to its policies, resulting in increased eligibility for creative producers. From the Creative Saskatchewan media release issued 13 April 2016: “Previously, arts and culture organisations that received operational funding from either the Saskatchewan Arts Board or permitted to apply to Creative Saskatchewan’s grant programs. Effective immediately, that restriction has been lifted.” Creative Saskatchewan grants focus on the commercial viability of proposed projects, the goal of which should be commercial success. This is excellent news for Saskatchewan publishers and for the publishing divisions of organisations that benefit from Arts Board and SaskCulture support. More information is available from Creative Saskatchewan’s blog.
Download the Catalogue
Featuring books published in Saskatchewan, the catalogue has something for everyone.
Dates & Deadlines
- Creative Saskatchewan defined grant intake opens 25 May
- Publishing Conference and AGM in Regina – June 16/17 (deadline to register is June 13)
- Catalogue submission deadline Monday, 15 August